Whether it’s paying the mortgage, dealing with unruly deadlines, or facing the frustration of your daily commute, stress will track you down like a vulture circling a carcass.
But unlike vultures – which are SUPER outrageously cool by the way – experiencing stress is anything but.
Why do we stress in the first place?
Though it feels like a conspiracy to keep us miserable, stress is our body’s way of keeping us safe.
Back in the day, it was better to be alarmed enough to flee when you heard a strange sound in the bushes, only to realize that it was a squirrel, than it was to ignore it and realize too late that it’s a large predator looking for a snack.
Our bodies still employ this well-honed system, but in some individuals, speaking at a meeting, attending social functions, or even a memory can activate the launch sequence for the same hormonal cascade that leaves us ready to run.
In fact, these symptoms characterize anxiety disorders, which are the most common mental health issue in the general population.
Ironically, all of this stress – while rooted in trying to help us – actually causes us harm if we don’t manage it properly. This includes (but isn’t limited to):
- An increased risk for heart attack and stroke
- An increased risk for headaches, including migraines
- Increased incidence of nausea, heartburn & gastrointestinal disorders
- Poor sleep
So how do we manage it?
One of the best tools for managing stress is mindfulness meditation, which has been linked to a number of physical and mental health benefits, including decreased blood pressure, diminished depression & anxiety, improved focus, increased immune function, and it may help mitigate the onset of dementia and Alzheimers.
Yet despite its benefits, you may be feeling wary.
The culture around meditation is off-putting at best, as it’s often associated with cosmic, chakra-healing nonsense that probably appeals to you about as much as having a root canal while listening to “It’s a Small World” on repeat.
Luckily, traditional meditation isn’t your only option.
And if nature is your jam, a little time outdoors may be all you need to find your groove.
Introducing Outdoor Meditation!
Outdoor Meditation is an 8-week program that will help you use the outdoors as a springboard to reduce stress, improve focus, and let go of what doesn’t serve you. When you register, you’ll receive:
- one activity each week for 8 weeks explaining what you need to do in simple terms so you can get outside & apply it to your own life instantly
- An exercise to help you identify your stressors & focus your efforts in the right places.
- An action plan to help you make time in your own life to get your Zen on.
- Learning how to tame that inner voice that often hounds you, so you know what to do when it starts spouting its opinions mid-meditation.
- Follow-up evaluations so you can see how you progressed, what worked well for you, and how you’ll continue to make time for meditation adventures in the future.
- A list of resources to help you learn more about meditation and getting outdoors
How does it work?
When you register, you get the whole program delivered at once so you can get started as soon as you like. No physical products will be shipped, so you’ll have access as soon as your payment clears.
- The course lays out initial exercises to help you identify your stressors, navigate your self-talk & shape your environment so you’ll be poised for success.
- Next, you’ll complete a new meditation activity each week all designed to take advantage of the multiple benefits of spending time outdoors.
- You can move at your own pace, so if you want to spend more time on any activity, you can take as long as you need.
- Once you feel comfortable, you can move onto the next activity. The goal isn’t just to finish it and be done as quickly as possible, but to work on incorporating these mindset shifts into your life.
- Once you’ve finished all 8 exercises, complete the evaluations at the end to help you pinpoint what went well & how you can continue using these activities in your life to reduce stress & regain control of your thoughts whenever you need it.
How will you benefit?
By combining the well-documented benefits of time outdoors with those of physical activity, you’ll be poised to improve your overall health & sense of well-being.
- Sustainable pace – the course is entirely self-directed, so you can take as much or as little time as you need for each activity.
- Less thinking, more doing – you already know that outdoor activity & meditation are good for you, but with a specific plan, you’ll be more likely to follow through.
- Reduce stress – stress is linked to a number of physical & mental health problems, and if you don’t find a way to manage stress, it will manage you.
- Shift your focus – the news we hear so often focuses on the negative, it’s difficult to remember how much good exists in the world. By practicing some of these exercises, you’ll train your mind to look for the beautiful around you.
- Regain perspective about what’s most important to you – spending time outdoors offers a landscape-level perspective that’s difficult to achieve amidst the chaos of everyday life.
- Practicing skills that you’ll use throughout your life – heading outdoors is a great way to stay active & the skills you’ll develop here you can practice throughout your life regardless of where you are or what resources you have at your disposal.
Is this program for me?
This program is for you if:
- You want to give this meditation thing a try, but aren’t sure where to start.
- You have an enthusiasm for the outdoors.
- You are mentally well enough to meditate on your own.
This program may NOT be for you if:
- You aren’t into spending time outdoors.
- You are experiencing moderate to severe symptoms of depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, or other mental illness.
Okay, but who are you?
- I’m Sonya – a Certified Health Coach and unapologetic nerd specializing in improving physical & mental health through outdoor activity, step-by-step behavior change, and a guilt-free approach to fitness & nutrition.
- I base my coaching strategies on the established benefits of physical activity, positive psychology & time outdoors.
- I hold a B.S. in Wildlife Biology & an M.S. in Biology, and I have over 20 years of experience in wildlife, ecology, conservation education & engaging people with the outdoors.
But how much does it cost?
The full program, which includes 8 full weeks of activities, plus bonus exercises to help you build & maintain the right mindset, is only $4.99.
I put hours upon hours into this program, and believe me, it was tough to negotiate with my inner hard-ass to drop the price this low! But the fact is that I want to help people – especially those who are feeling hesitant about meditation because of the culture that’s so often associated with it.
So $4.99 it is! And at that price, it’s a steal.
Because you won’t just use the tools you build over these 8 weeks & promptly discard them like the packaging from your take-out lunch (which, by the way, would cost more than this course).
You can practice & grow these skills throughout your life – leaving you healthier, happier & more in control of where to focus your limited mental energy.
Ready to make a change?
Life is short, and you don’t want to spend it lamenting the past or stewing over the future – while never living where you are.
Never stopping to recognize how incredible your body & mind can be.
Or rarely seeing what a remarkable universe you are fortunate enough to inhabit in this moment.
If you’re ready to calm your mind, regain control of your thoughts & work on finding the beautiful in the world around you, register now to begin your stress-busting journey into Outdoor Meditation!